[islandlabs] Some info about Resin 3D Printers

gabe at bigapplehobbies.com gabe at bigapplehobbies.com
Thu Dec 2 06:23:14 EST 2021

Hello all,

I bought a resin printer a couple of weeks ago and some of this may be interesting to some of you:

Prices for resin printers are crazy low compared to just a few years ago !

Mine is a Creality “Halot-One” (CL-60) and it was $250 at Microcenter.

The build size is 127 * 80 * 60mm

The speed is SLOW but you get used to it.

The quality (once you get things figured out) is amazing !

I have had trouble posting pics here, but if anybody wants more info, contact me directly and I can send pics and more details etc.

The printer is very high quality, works well and the simple software is pretty good.

The included Creality slicer software sucks. I tried several slicers and settled on Lychee (free) which works well. There is a Pro ($) version but I have not tried it yet.

Resins come in Water-Soluble and non-water-soluble. I have only used Microcenter house brand W-S so I cannot offer comparisons. It seems to work very well. The other stuff is supposed to be very smelly and I will avoid it if I can.

I recommend a few accessories:

- multiple vats so you don’t have to mess with changing / washing resin too much.

- magnetic build plate that allows easy removal of the printed pieces.

- wash / curing station of some type.

Up to now I have been using “Tinkercad” which is a bit like HTML: it’s amazing what you can build with just 15 functions, but at the end of the day you are limited to 15 functions.

“Fusion 360” has a student / non-commercial free version and I am starting to learn it. You will need to learn some sort of software if you want to design your own pieces.

If I had to do it over, I would buy an Elgoo Saturn. It’s $500, has a build area twice the size and people online have nice things to say about it. The equivalent-size Creality printer is $899 and out of stock. I have never seen / touched any Elgoo printers though, so I cannot comment on actual quality etc.

Lastly, there are a lot of settings re printer “ballistics” and re slicer positioning / support of your objects that you will need to figure out in order to make consistently successful prints. Patience and perseverance are definitely called for, but it is really amazing what you will be able to produce once you get the hang for it.

Feel free to email me any questions etc.

Cheers,
Gabe

Sent from my iPhone