[islandlabs] Progress Report 5-1-2019

Paul Posner paul at thinkavinc.com
Fri May 3 13:50:21 EDT 2019

Yow-Ning,

Inkscape is ideal for converting most any format into something workable
with a laser cutter.  While I am not even remotely familiar with the
GlowForge, I have been using my own laser cutter for about 5 years, with
Inkscape as my design program.

RE: Inkscape and PDFs - MOST PDFs are vector.  If you import into
Inkscape, select the image, and 'ungroup' the image a few times, it
SHOULD become all separate paths...  "Should" being the active word here.

IUf you'd like, you can send me the file ( paul at thinkavinc.com ) and
I'll fix it up for you in no time.
Also, I'd be happy to come on down and give some tips and tricks to the
members of your group with Inkscape.  There are a great many tricks I
can share, and can show how I whip up slot-n-tab boxes in no time, as
well as how to set-up living hinge patterns and even how to apply them
onto curved forms.

i can also help out with getting the CNC Router running...  I have a
smaller Shapeoko2 - I believe you have the 1M square version. It uses
the GRBL shield for Arduino, so you'd need a few specific pieces of
software to get it running, which I'd bring with me on a USB stick.

Let me know if interested in any of the above.

Paul
ThinkAV / Charred Edges

On 5/3/2019 11:02 AM, Yow-Ning Chang <yowning at yahoo.com> via List wrote:

>     Inline image
>     Yow-Ning’s quick attempt to engrave on red paper a Chinese design.
>
>     WHAT I LEARNED ABOUT THE GF
>
>     The GF has two functions, cut or engrave. I wanted to cut a
>     Chinese window art for the year of the pig so I found the design
>     online. The GF did not allow the choice of cutting due to the file
>     format being a PDF.  Which meant I had no other choice but to
>     engrave.
>
>     There is a visible fine line cross going through the design. That
>     was probably due to the fact that I did not pay for the design.
>
>     The free design software, Inkscape, was recommended to me to
>     complete the change of file format or to produce my own design.
>      Will have try that.  Hats off to all freeware producers.
>
>     I also found some glass coasters that could potentially be
>     engraved. Thank you, Bill, for knowing it can be done and
>     searching for information online.  Excitement is in the air.
>
>     GOOD NEWS AND BAD NEWS
>
>     Tom delivered the fact that he and Mike are both going to be away
>     on vacation for the last Wednesday of May and the first Wednesday
>     of June. This means we will enjoy these two weeks’ General Meeting
>     somewhere else. Please let us know if you have a good location
>     available or potentially available. John is thinking State U
>     Farmingdale or CSHL.  We could also look for other relavent
>     meetings to attend together.  We’ll post the location/s online so
>     please look for them before you show up.
>
>     THE CNC MACHINE
>
>     Clusters of people have gathered around the CNC machine for
>     discussion and exchange of information.  So far, no visible
>     activities were observed.  Is there a downloadable program that
>     can be used to test all moving parts to be in working order?
>      There was a wooden board with the words “Island Labs” carved in
>     it in Westbury, right James?
>
>     MF BOT
>
>     People who are psyched about the MF BOT should talk to Ryan. He
>     brought a wheelchair motor to be the propeller of to-be-assembled
>     legs. Like last year, the search is on for suitable batteries.
>
>     EARLY PICNIC APPROCHING
>
>     May 19th, Sunday, is the picnic in Bethpage Park.  We’ll be
>     outside in the park for quite a while. Last year, first arrivers
>     had a pancake/fruits breakfast by Chef Jeff.  The grill was on all
>     afternoon.  IL prepared drinks, chips, buns, and paper goods,
>     etc..  What’s your must-have items for the picnic?
>
>     That’s all, Folks. Open your eyes and enjoy the Spring Flowers!
>
>     Yow-Ning
>     Eat Natural and drink water

Paul Posner - Chief Tech / G.M.
paul at thinkavinc.com