[islandlabs] Google Exec Admits to Congress they are tracking you even if you opt-out and turn off location

Bill Burns bot779 at protonmail.com
Fri Mar 15 20:15:19 EDT 2019

Facebook in particular employs many people (in addition to employing many algorithms) to enforce their acceptable use policies.
These people have to view and evaluate some of the most offensive content on the internet.

So they are doing *some* things to prevent misuse of their platform.

But they still do little to prevent their platform from being data-mined by unscrupulous companies and their users from being trolled for political and other nefarious purposes.

..but that already puts us into territory where privacy is not available to users on the most common (and increasingly less useful) platform for publishing user content.

..and in a place where Zuckerberg was called to testify before congress and made to promise to do much better but basically just kept on doing the same things.

I think the FAA was successively granted more power/authority after a series of major air disasters.
I don't know what the equivalent of an air disaster would be in the world of web technology.

I know of people who have gotten killed because they couldn't get their friends to take their stalker situations seriously and stop posting their whereabouts on Facebook.
That kind of thing doesn't even make the news.

People get radicallized online, post freakish manifestos online, then go and do a mass killing.
Maybe that's not a "platform" issue?
Often, there are so many of these things going on at once that law enforcement, even when these things come to their attention in advance, still don't have the resources or sometimes legal basis to intervene.

I don't know what a federal "web" administration could do , what I'd want them to do or why an "air disaster" of the web hasn't been declared already.

Anyways...
What maker stuff have you done lately?