[islandlabs] Google Exec Admits to Congress they are tracking you even if you opt-out and turn off location

gabe at bigapplehobbies.com gabe at bigapplehobbies.com
Fri Mar 15 11:36:11 EDT 2019

I think that one start of addressing the issues is for everybody to agree that there is a place and a need for regulation and regulators.

To continue my automobile-based metaphor, if I were stopped by the constabulary while driving at night with no driver’s license, no headlights, bald tires and a high BAC level, I would not be able to walk away by simply saying that “it’s complicated.”

However, the “it’s complicated” is still about where we find ourselves in relation to G et al.

At the start of aviation there were no regs and people were free to kill themselves and break things to their heart’s content (“Sacrifices must be made” Otto Lilienthal after his ultimately-fatal last flight.)

However, as things developed, order was imposed, sometimes to teeth-gnashing, and sometimes w hilarious results (after flights from US to Europe were temporarily banned since a bunch of Lindbergh wanna-be’s died in quick succession, “Wrong-Way Corrigan” flew to Europe but claimed he meant to fly to Calif and just got lost), but ultimately a rules-based system (not based on “trust-us”) prevailed, and helped bring aviation to the ridiculously high level of safety we all enjoy.

In the case of the “tech companies” one specific tactic might be to simply treat them according to what they actually do rather than by how they accomplish it. For instance, FB is a publisher and an ad agency. They use more servers and fewer employees than traditional publishers and ad agencies, but that is not necessarily relevant, the same way that faster cars do not get to enjoy faster speed limits on our highways.

Anyway, my whole problem w the “It’s complicated” approach is that it asks everybody to “trust us.” I don’t, and I don’t think that anybody else should either.

Sent from my iPhone