[islandlabs] New “Island Labs” GROUP in FaceBook

gabe at bigapplehobbies.com gabe at bigapplehobbies.com
Mon Mar 4 12:27:34 EST 2019

(This is written / posted with full awareness that I am writing this a somewhat peripheral non-member.)

Does anyone want me to start a Reddit page for IL or to host a public forum on my own website?  I can do it.

My aim is to provide maximum usefulness / exposure for IL-members and IL-curious. I do not want to start a public platform war so if anybody has any comments I will be happy to discuss any concerns / issues via private email, text, phone etc.

1 - it seems to me that one of the purposes of a “social” platform would be to show cool things that IL is doing in order to attract new members. Having an FB group set to private defeats this important goal.

2 - Reddit is easy to work with, and has no demonstrated record of of undermining democracy, assisting murderous kleptocrats, etc, etc.

3 - if Reddit were to be found wanting for any reason, I will be happy to host an IL forum as part of my own website (bigapplehobbies.com).

It is hosted by Volusion, which is huge and offers many, many features (forums) available, or we can select any other compatible forum software.

4 - IL is a small group. I don’t think it would be a good idea to create multiple sub-groups on different platforms and I would not wish for that to happen.

5 - I do not have a FB account and given their willful ignorance and general destructiveness that has been demonstrated over the last couple of years (and is still on-going), I will never get involved with them, even as a guest account with full privacy settings.

(Simply *being* on FB raises their number of users, etc, etc, and I do not believe that (absent exigent circumstances) there is such a thing as an acceptable amount of excrement in a salad before I would refuse to eat said salad.)

Gabe

Sent from my iPhone