[islandlabs] Progress Report 2-6-2019

Yow-Ning Chang yowning at yahoo.com
Fri Feb 8 12:10:13 EST 2019

HAPPY YEAR OF THE PIG

HEROES BEHIND THE SCENE
It was a tumultuous week for the IL online presence.  Emails could not be posted and the website was down for quite a few days.  Jeff designated the work to John.  John put a static page up and spent time on creative design.  Chris (most likely) fixed the List Server so it is available once again.  We may want a more reliable free website host.
SPONTANEOUS DEMONSTRATION
Hugh, a scientist from Swing Dance Long Island, showed up to check us out.  As soon as he mentioned 3D printing, James responded by setting up a full demo of TinkerCAD with his very active account.  Tom’s new large screen was ideal for any kind of demo.  James went on to another freeware to show how a 3D head image can be quickly generated. This was most entertaining to watch.
MORE TABLES
Bill brought another folding table and all the tables were quickly occupied by stuff. We are still getting used to how spacious the basement actually is.  The open space is freeing and beckons people to stand up and move around.  Regarding quality of breathing air, Tom suggested that the non-inline filter can fit into the exhaust tube and become inline, ridding the trash can.
RICH’S CODING CLASS
Rich will send out instructions regarding the Coding  Class so people can download the software to their laptops at home. We will give him half an hour to demonstrate his teaching talent.  The rest will be history (at some point in the future).
Other classes and demos are in the pipeline.  We will announce those.
2019 CORPORATE CULTURAL GOAL—SELF
“S” is for SUPPORT.  We support each other in any minimalistic efforts.
“E” is for EDIFY.  We look up in the dictionary for instructions.
“L” is for LAUGH.  You don’t even know a person if you can’t make them laugh.
“F” is for FULFILL.  Work hard to find your personal fulfillment.
FINANCIAL
John became moose number 4 from Island Labs because membership is what the IL is offering for the space we are enjoying.  Let’s remember that and talk to potential candidates.  Bill W. is committed.  Jeff, Gabe, Chris, Steve, (Efraim, are you okay during the cold?) John, Dave, Matt, Dean, Hirdeep, Nate, Gordon, Kieth, Hugh, and others I didn’t know or forgot to mention, please consider becoming a Moose member. We especially need Moose’s who will break the glass ceiling for myself, Arielle, Louisa, Liz, Wendy, Judy, Helen, and other aspiring and inspiring makers.
That’s all, Folks!
Yow-NingEat Natural and drink water