[islandlabs] Wednesday: Island Labs

Bill Burns bot779 at protonmail.com
Tue Jun 6 23:16:24 EDT 2017

This week, we'll be meeting in the Westbury location at 8:00pm as usual.
https://www.meetup.com/Island-Labs-Makerspace/events/240468404/

I'll be bringing a few X-Box Kinect units in case anyone is interested in experimenting with those.
Also, I plan to bring a quadcopter airframe.

Over the weekend, we talked about setting up an Island Labs "store" where we could keep extras of things that we buy during "group buy" events.
So we've got a place for "store" items now, and we need to make a "price sheet" of suggested donations to go along with it.

..and the next group buy might be a bunch of Arduino starter kits that could be used as the basis for a proposed Arduino class.
Those would cost us less than $10 per kit.

There was also conversation about making Island Labs branded intro-to-soldering kits.
One of the proposed circuits was a 2-LED blinker.
I wonder if the "Atari" sound generator could be another candidate:
http://www.jameco.com/Jameco/workshop/diy/ataripunkconsole-kit.html
http://www.jameco.com/Jameco/workshop/diy/atari-punk-console.html
maybe w/ trimmer pots, instead of full size potentiometers?

Speaking of buying stuff, did you know that accelerometers cost less than $1.50 now?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/MPU-6050-6-DOF-3-Axis-Accelerometer-Gyroscope-Sensor-Module-GY-521-for-Arduino-/162145167881?hash=item25c09aea09:g:eYsAAOSwc49Y7dnw

Maybe we could build a shield to accommodate an accelerometer. (a flight controller shield?)
..or an ESC Shield?

See you guys at the meetings.