[islandlabs] Tuesday SI-SIG; Wednesday Island Labs; Thursday Nassau ARES

Minuk Choi choi.minuk at gmail.com
Sat Jun 25 20:18:28 EDT 2016


RAMPS?  Delta-bot?  Boy, alot has happened since my last visit!  Which 3d
deltabot printer kit was built?

On Sat, Jun 25, 2016, 06:36 paul <paul at thinkavinc.com> via List <
list at lists.islandlabs.org> wrote:

> Rockets?   LOVE rockets.
>
>
>
> Paul Posner
> ThinkAV /  LiTime Clocks   /  ┬ÁMake Labs
> 516-978-4442
>
>
>
> -------- Original message --------
> From: "Ephraim Hernandez <ejhern at gmail.com> via List" <
> list at lists.islandlabs.org>
> Date: 06/25/2016 12:28 AM (GMT-05:00)
> To: James Carpino <jamescarpino at yahoo.com>
> Cc: "R. J. Petrillo" <rpetrill at stevens.edu>, Island Labs mailing list <
> list at lists.islandlabs.org>
> Subject: Re: [islandlabs] Tuesday SI-SIG; Wednesday Island Labs; Thursday
> Nassau ARES
>
> Hey I get it.. it was a one off. It was fun. It will not be that every
> time. Nobody wants that...
> .
> I need a new project or to focus on one of my existing ones.
>
> Wish there was a place to shoot rockets... but not on LI anymore.
> On Jun 24, 2016 10:00 PM, "James Carpino" <jamescarpino at yahoo.com> wrote:
>
>> Ephraim- I think we got away with murder, in terms of talking about
>> polarizing issues and risking the potential alienation of our
>> "classmates".  For me, it was a lot of fun, but I don't think we can always
>> count on everyone else to accept the weekly
>> tech/making/radio/computing/hobby/boats etc. meeting snowballing into
>> passioned political debate.
>>
>> I come to IL for company and good cheer.  I'm glad we are all able to
>> talk without turning sour on each other, but like RJ, I'd like to risk it
>> as little as possible.  I like you all and I don't want that to change.
>>
>> I don't want for it to become taboo, where people are afraid to speak
>> their mind. (Agreeing with Chris on this.)  But I think maybe we are all
>> allowing it to slip in abundantly because of the stunning events in this
>> year's political arena ("The Gamesters of Triskelion" comes to mind, as
>> well as "Bread and Circuses").  I think the biggest problem is if we take
>> it for granted and allow Island Labs to become Island Labs Political
>> Discussion Group.  If every week is like that for extended time, I think we
>> might find an unexplained attendance drop.  So, I mean, everything in
>> moderation, I think that applies here (echoing what others have said).
>>
>> Chris I think I agree with what you're saying about if we are going to be
>> blabbing about it it might as well not be aimless.  That's a big thing for
>> me, and I have sought throughout my life to stop spewing rhetoric, because
>> I don't want to become one of the hypocrites.  But I think we have a
>> situation that just kinda snowballed, which is the political equivalent of
>> "Hey how 'bout those Mets".  Talking about sports doesn't mean we have to
>> go to games or raise money for some sports cause.  I think it just seemed
>> that way because of the "Why you make that sound" phenomenon... I make a
>> sound and say "the edges of this print are sharp" and the discussion
>> snowballed into a lot of stuff when I really wasn't concerned, CAD,
>> OpenSCAD, fractals, etc., which is fun.  But people around me drawing the
>> conclusion that this is a pressing issue for me, is an artifact of our
>> gathering format.
>>
>> If I decided to do something real about politics, it would be at the
>> expense of everything else I do, and I think that's a common problem.
>> Already, the election season is forcing me to watch tons of youtube videos
>> that I don't want to, taking precious time away from building 3D printers.
>> There's virtually nothing I can do to stop it.  Just imagine how many 3d
>> printers I wouldn't build if I was to actually become politically active.
>> That's a lot of 3D printers.
>>
>> James
>>
>> ------------------------------
>> *From:* "Ephraim Hernandez <ejhern at gmail.com> via List" <
>> list at lists.islandlabs.org>
>> *To:* Island Labs mailing list <list at lists.islandlabs.org>; Chris Knadle
>> <chris.knadle at coredump.us>
>> *Cc:* R.J. Petrillo <rpetrill at stevens.edu>
>> *Sent:* Friday, June 24, 2016 8:52 PM
>> *Subject:* Re: [islandlabs] Tuesday SI-SIG; Wednesday Island Labs;
>> Thursday Nassau ARES
>>
>> Meh... it was open dialog about anything and everything and spured
>> discussions about government and it's ability to science.... the mechanics
>> of ArmorLite tools among other things...
>> and as we were limited to mostly non-internet access it was a good change
>> in dynamics. Bent the brain muscle in a different direction for a minute.
>> We did steer away from polarizing issues... mostly I thought.
>> I have no issue with discussing anything. I did learn several things and
>> changed my bias on at least one object of discussion... applying facts and
>> science to common day myths.
>> K.I.S.S. comes to mind.
>> Definitely no formal or informal endorsement of any particular party even
>> if we are all of like mind...
>> There will be times that policies should be discussed as they address the
>> world we live in.
>> I.e. global warming, ... spins into alternate energy which spins into
>> energy storage which spins into power grid problems and solutions which is
>> all maker appropriate to me....
>> On Jun 24, 2016 8:07 PM, "Chris Knadle <Chris.Knadle at coredump.us>
>> via List" <list at lists.islandlabs.org> wrote:
>>
>>
>>
>> R.J. Petrillo:
>> > I disagree about the politics.
>> >
>> > I think we should keep it to a minimum, implemented in similar manner in
>> > which we are "safe search off" yanno? Not the sort of thing you want to
>> > advertise. In this charged climate we can turn off a lot of people one
>> way
>> > or another depending on the issue, and we want to be inclusive.
>> >
>> > Additionally - there is a much bigger issue at hand here leading my
>> thought
>> > process - As a charitable organization we need to follow explicit and
>> > strict rules regarding politics. We cannot, nor can we appear to,
>> endorse,
>> > condone, or provide support for publicly any individual party or
>> candidate.
>> >
>> > Even the firearm and 2A related organizations I'm part of refrain from
>> any
>> > political discussions outside of directly related to the issue
>> (firearms).
>> > No talk about borders, abortion, taxes, etc....
>> >
>> >
>> > Just my $0.02
>>
>> Well, if I take what is said above and apply it to an Island Labs
>> meeting, then it seems to be "political discussion = interruption".
>>
>> All I'm saying is that if we're going to talk politics then I'd like
>> there to be action to go with it, otherwise it's "just talk".  If we
>> don't talk politics, then I'm okay with that too.  However I'll also say
>> that I'm /not/ in favor of avoiding political discussion or action
>> "simply as a matter of policy" -- and the irony is that the idea of not
>> allowing political discussion is "to be inclusive".  Hmm.  :-/  That
>> argument doesn't smell right to me.
>>
>> I'd understand these statements better if you had an objection about the
>> political discussion Wednesday night and had voiced it.  Is it that you
>> didn't think of it at the time?
>>
>>    -- Chris
>>
>> --
>> Chris Knadle
>> Chris.Knadle at coredump.us
>> _______________________________________________
>> List mailing list
>> List at lists.islandlabs.org
>> http://lists.islandlabs.org/mailman/listinfo/list
>>
>>
>> _______________________________________________
>> List mailing list
>> List at lists.islandlabs.org
>> http://lists.islandlabs.org/mailman/listinfo/list
>>
>>
>> _______________________________________________
> List mailing list
> List at lists.islandlabs.org
> http://lists.islandlabs.org/mailman/listinfo/list
>
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://lists.islandlabs.org/pipermail/list/attachments/20160626/bcc9e95b/attachment.html>


More information about the List mailing list