[islandlabs] Tuesday SI-SIG; Wednesday Island Labs; Thursday Nassau ARES

James Carpino jamescarpino at yahoo.com
Fri Jun 24 22:00:00 EDT 2016

Ephraim- I think we got away with murder, in terms of talking about polarizing issues and risking the potential alienation of our "classmates".  For me, it was a lot of fun, but I don't think we can always count on everyone else to accept the weekly tech/making/radio/computing/hobby/boats etc. meeting snowballing into passioned political debate.

I come to IL for company and good cheer.  I'm glad we are all able to talk without turning sour on each other, but like RJ, I'd like to risk it as little as possible.  I like you all and I don't want that to change.
I don't want for it to become taboo, where people are afraid to speak their mind. (Agreeing with Chris on this.)  But I think maybe we are all allowing it to slip in abundantly because of the stunning events in this year's political arena ("The Gamesters of Triskelion" comes to mind, as well as "Bread and Circuses").  I think the biggest problem is if we take it for granted and allow Island Labs to become Island Labs Political Discussion Group.  If every week is like that for extended time, I think we might find an unexplained attendance drop.  So, I mean, everything in moderation, I think that applies here (echoing what others have said).

Chris I think I agree with what you're saying about if we are going to be blabbing about it it might as well not be aimless.  That's a big thing for me, and I have sought throughout my life to stop spewing rhetoric, because I don't want to become one of the hypocrites.  But I think we have a situation that just kinda snowballed, which is the political equivalent of "Hey how 'bout those Mets".  Talking about sports doesn't mean we have to go to games or raise money for some sports cause.  I think it just seemed that way because of the "Why you make that sound" phenomenon... I make a sound and say "the edges of this print are sharp" and the discussion snowballed into a lot of stuff when I really wasn't concerned, CAD, OpenSCAD, fractals, etc., which is fun.  But people around me drawing the conclusion that this is a pressing issue for me, is an artifact of our gathering format.

If I decided to do something real about politics, it would be at the expense of everything else I do, and I think that's a common problem.  Already, the election season is forcing me to watch tons of youtube videos that I don't want to, taking precious time away from building 3D printers.  There's virtually nothing I can do to stop it.  Just imagine how many 3d printers I wouldn't build if I was to actually become politically active.  That's a lot of 3D printers.

James