[islandlabs] car maintenance adventures

Chris Knadle Chris.Knadle
Fri Jan 30 02:13:07 EST 2015

On 2015-01-29 14:20, Burns, William wrote:
> Chris:
>
> The reason the "alternator" is so hard to find (in a yr 2000  Honda
> insight) is because there isn't one for that car. (I belatedly discovered)
> Not original equipment, anyway.

I believe the "alternator rotor assembly" I looked up is the same for the
'00 - '03 Insight, so it should be the same as what you have.

> What you're looking at appears to be the motor/generator that's molded
> into
> the engine block.

That's what it looked like, yep.

> (doing any maintenance on that involves a *lot* of engine disassembly)
> It generates a (varying) voltage somewhere in the range of 120 to 160
> volts.

> Then the hybrid system downconverts this to 13.8V to charge the
> "accessory"
> battery.
> Unfortunately, when the hybrid system quits, the downconverion quits and
> you're running on an uncharged battery.

*sigh*  Yeah I understand.

> The solution is to lobotomize the hybrid "intelligent Power Unit" and then
> the downconversion circuit returns to "minimal" service.
>
> This involved removing a ridiculous number of screws, removing a shielding
> plate, turning off the hybrid battery switch and ignoring the "you *will*
> be
> killed" warning message.
>
> Now I'm getting 50MPG on the gas engine only.

Well the procedure certainly sounds scary, but it also sounds like having
done it the car is a lot more livable now than it was.  Glad you were able
to get it back on the road without having to charge the battery every night.

--

Chris Knadle
Chris.Knadle at coredump.us