[islandlabs] 3d printer kit

Mark Drago markdrago at gmail.com
Tue Dec 1 08:25:11 EST 2015

Hello Island Labs,

I'm looking to buy a 3d printer kit and I'd appreciate any advice this
group can provide.

Things I'm looking for:
- a kit.  I want the experience of building the printer myself.  Ideally
the kit is complete and I don't need to track down various pieces from a
hardware store or stitch things together from multiple retailers.
- open source hardware with active community.  I don't want to be the only
person using a particular machine.
- price.  I don't really anticipate using the printer all that often, it's
more about the experience of building it and the novelty of having it.  I
can't justify paying $1000 for a machine that I'm not going to use all that
frequently.  I can stomach something in the $500-$600 range, but that's on
the high end of my budget for this project.  If there's an option to get
something cheaper with fewer bells and whistles I'd be interested.

Things I'm not looking for:
- fast build times, high resolution, etc.  This kit is a hobby for me.
While I don't want the builds to be complete garbage I'm not going to sweat
over the details.
- disconnected printing.  This seems to be a feature that people want, but
if I need to connect the machine to a computer to print that's fine with me.

I've been looking in to the reprap line of printers.  The one kit that is
at the top of my list at this point is prusa i3 kit: