[islandlabs] LILUG.org, Island Labs, SI-SIG

Chris Knadle Chris.Knadle at coredump.us
Tue Apr 14 02:19:40 EDT 2015

On 04/14/2015 01:41 AM, Burns, William <burns at cshl.edu> via List wrote:
[...]
> Here's a little summary of what we've been talking about at Island
> Labs recently:

[...]
> Some others who are not Island labs members but who are working on
> interesting things:

I've been quiet lately because I've been concentrating on a frustrating
bug in the Mumble package on Debian where mumble-server starts up but
is "deaf", i.e. the network daemon not listening to any ports.  Last
week I was working on a systemd service file...

Chris (K): systemd service file for mumble-server: Complete.
  And yet it doesn't fix the bug in Debian for mumble... #780300
  Something very strange is going on; when starting mumble-server
  (i.e. murmurd) under systemd on Debian or upstart on Ubuntu 14.04,
  the daemon starts but isn't listening to any network ports.  Writing
  a systemd service file to depend on After=network-online.target
  didn't change a thing.  :-(

  For an explanation of what this means, see
     http://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/systemd/NetworkTarget/

  It took me about a week to get a working systemd service file, and
  there's a reason -- it's configuration is surprisingly terse, and
  there are a number of limitations I bumped into where it does things
  very differently from an init script.

  What's truly strange about this bug is that the /default/ IP setting
  is supposed to be host=:: which means "all interfaces" on IPv6 as
  well as IPv4 but that isn't working -- yet a *manual* setting of
  "host=::" works fine.  ?!?.  So there seems to be a difference in
  the code for handling an automatic setting of "host=::" and a manual
  setting of host="::".

  By Wednesday night I hope to be narrowing down where the problem is
  in the code, trying to come up with a patch, then recompiling and
  testing the patched code.  If I'm lucky.

  -- Chris

--
Chris Knadle
Chris.Knadle at coredump.us