[islandlabs] LILUG.org, Island Labs, SI-SIG

Burns, William burns at cshl.edu
Tue Apr 14 01:41:58 EDT 2015

This Tuesday the 14th is the second Tuesday of the month so:

Those of us who are interested will attend the LILUG.org meeting at 8:00pm in CSHL's woodbury location.

note: the gates close for a half-hour starting at 8:30pm. Please show up early if you can.

on Wednesday we'll be meeting in Mineola for Island Labs at 8:00pm as usual

This week will have the third Thursday of the month, so those interested will attend SI-SIG at the panera-bread by the walt-whitman mall.

(also at 8:00pm)

Here's a little summary of what we've been talking about at Island Labs recently:

Jesse:
now has a hand-wound inductor for his transmitter
(wound around a 1/4" nylon screw)

AFAIK, the only missing component is a variable capacitor.

Jim:
PWM LED Drivers
Raw C code on Arduino via avrdude
Forth for Arduino

Jeff:
discrete-tone keyboard
1-wire temperature array

Rocco:

Continuous-tone keyboard

Chris (P):
Rhythmicon

Chris is also interested in a number of audio projects.

We were talking today (monday) about some construction details re: a musical keyboard, the fact that he has some circuit-board etching experience he could bring to the group and how we could integrate arduinos into some of the projects he's been talking about.

Mary Beth:
Intial configs on her Cisco switch

Chris:
His Grandfather's nixie tubes.
I've heard that nixie tubes (like tubes in general) require voltages over 100V

Some others who are not Island labs members but who are working on interesting things:

Tim (X):
Magnetic-loop antenna for 40 and 80 meter operation
remotely operated air-gap variable capacitor

Alex (B):

..considering building a vacuum-table so he can use it to vacuum-form his own "indestructable" quadcopter airframe.

Alex came up w/ a parts-list for a quad and it looks remarkably similar to the stuff we've been buying.

I offered to run it past everyone at Island Labs so we could vet the list for parts-selection and pricing.

Here it is: (below)

Let me know what you think.

-Bill

Amazon build: $195.93