[islandlabs] Just Some Questions

Chris Knadle Chris.Knadle
Fri Oct 17 20:29:28 EDT 2014

On Fri, Oct 17, 2014 at 02:20:17AM -0400, Alex Jayson wrote:
> Hello IslandLabs !
>
>     My name is Rad, Im a 20 year old college student currently studying at
> Stony Brook University. I was looking into some organizations to join that
> shared my interests and I stumbled on you guys. I was wondering, what kind
> of topics are most commonly discussed and worked on in your space?

What's discussed is anything someone in the group wants to bring up.
Typically it's a wide variety: Amateur Radio, electronics, quad copters,
operating systems, engineering, etc.

> I mostly
> dealt with lockpicking in the past and Im picking up impressioning.

So far we've never discussed either of these, but they're both ones I
find interesting.

> I also
> wanted to expand my horizons a bit so I started picking up programming
> recently, Im learning Python right now (still very much a beginner). I know
> you have a meeting the 29th, but how often per month do you usually meet and
> on what days?

There's a weekly meeting every Wednesday which is the one I reguarly attend.
There also used to be "study sessions" on Tuesdays that met at another
location, but I think those haven't met in a while.

> Also, are all of your meetings in Mineola?

The Wednesday meetings generally meet there.  We've been in discussions with
setting up a more formal "hacker space" though so there's no guarantee that
we'll always meet in Mineola.

> As a non-member,
> when would it be the best time for me to drop by and meet you guys ?

Anytime.

> Im open to new ideas and Im very eager to learn as well as share anything
> that I know.

Thankfully that's also the case for everybody else I know that meets up at
Island Labs; it's a very comfortable group of people to hang out and do
some tinkering or actual work with.

--

Chris Knadle
Chris.Knadle at coredump.us