[islandlabs] Mesh WiFi talk at HRU?

Burns, William burns
Tue Oct 14 21:50:14 EDT 2014

Jonathan:

Giving a mesh talk would be strange since I haven't used the mesh that I'd be talking about.
I suppose I could use the opportunity to promote Jeff's mesh WiFi project at HRU.
http://hamradiouniversity.org/
But that would make it even stranger, being that Jeff will be in the room but doesn't want to do the talk himself.

The context of HRU might be a saving grace.
My impression of HRU is that it attracts a large number of people who feel they have technical chops but apparently can't see (or don't care about?) the large-ish holes in the presentations they sit through.
I can hope that there won't be any insightful questions.

Jeff has been working w/ the Ubiquiti Bullet since it is outdoor equipment that's arguably cheaper to use than a WRT54G.
The mesh system/software he's using is BBHN.
http://www.broadband-hamnet.org/

Standard commercial WiFi is limited to 1000mW (1 Watt) EIRP.
You're allowed to go a *little* beyond that for point-to-point directional antennas but for any omnidirectional antenna, you're not allowed to use any antenna gain that would give you a signal stronger than a 1-Watt radio with no antenna gain.
That's a very large limitation.

RF performance wise:
You can blow that 1-Watt limitation away w/ the power you're allowed to use w/ a HAM license.
The big limitation when you're operating w/ a HAM license is that:
All encryption is illegal.

For all practical purposes, being internet connected over a HAM licensed system is illegal.

The challenge for HAM WiFi is finding a useful application that the network can support without being internet connected and without using any encryption.
Possibly there are HAM field-day applications. (logging radio contacts, 1 day out of the year)
Possibly there are emergency communications applications. (as long as they carry no confidential information)

Outside of that, I'm kind-of stumped for uses of HAM WiFi.
Or how to spend a half-hour talking about it.

re: SDR:
What's the B100?

..and why not the HackRF One?
http://www.nooelec.com/store/hackrf.html?gclid=CJfky5q_rcECFSgV7AodQDMAJg