[islandlabs] QuadCopter Pictures Anyone? (islandlabs.org is still down)

Jonathan Dahan jonathan
Fri May 31 12:37:23 EDT 2013

On Thu, May 30, 2013 at 7:34 PM, Burns, William <burns at cshl.edu> wrote:

>  Jonathan:****
>
> ** **
>
> Night flying doesn?t make for good photo ops.****
>
> Didn?t get any flying time yesterday either.****
>
> ** **
>
> Hopefully next week we?ll get started early w/ the flying.****
>
> Unless we try to attach those pesky landing gear first.****
>
> ** **
>
> Landing w/ no landing gear has been very bad for the longevity of our
> props.****
>
> (tending to lose one or more for every day of flight)****
>
> **

yeah landing gear, pretty important :D

> **
>
> If anyone has good pictures of our quadcopter, please post links to the
> list.****
>
> ** **
>
> ** **
>
> ** **
>
> Also? We?re flying w/ a commercial flight controller which seems much
> cheaper than building (and coding) our own.****
>
> **

Which model are you using, there are some cheap barebones boards like
http://store.3drobotics.com/products/apm-1-arduino-compatible-uav-controller-w-atmega2560-kitbut
then you need lots of addons (for sensors, power distribution)  and
yes, more time.

> **
>
> So we don?t have much code to show, and possibly nothing that would
> actually survive to a working flight controller.****
>
> So-far the arduino code has been reading nunchuck data + trying to send
> the right values to prop speed controllers to keep the quadcopter oriented
> in the same way as the nunchuck.****
>
> It?s very hard to see if things are working that way ?cause the copter
> remains on the ground.****
>
> ** **
>
> And?****
>
> We need to get/use (better) code to read RC data instead of using the
> (tethered) nunchuck.****
>
> **

you have RCs to use?

> **
>
> And..****
>
> Reading accelerometer data has been slow.****
>
> We need a different accelerometer and/or code tweakage to get that working
> better.****
>
> **

pass along the schematic/code for that, I'd like to take a look

> **
>
> And?****
>
> Apparently having/using solid-state gyros is very important + we?re not
> doing that.****
>
> **

sounds like you are learning a lot

> **
>
> And?****
>
> I?m not sure we really understand the whole PID thing yet. (and how it
> relates/tunes w/ quadcopters)****
>
> **

and learning some more!