[islandlabs] Flight control board

Burns, William burns
Fri Apr 19 10:23:17 EDT 2013

These guys have some ESC calibration info, and a design thats remarkably similar to our own.

http://awesomecopter.nl/

Here's some better calibration info:

http://robots.dacloughb.com/project-2/esc-calibration-programming/

Here's an interesting site that makes it seem like the parts we're getting locally are reasonably priced.

http://www.aeroquadstore.com/

note: we are using 10-amp "outrunner 1000Kv" motors:

http://www.parallax.com/Store/Accessories/MotorServos/tabid/163/CategoryID/57/List/0/SortField/0/Level/a/ProductID/814/Default.aspx

with 30-amp "GemFan" ESCs.

http://www.parallax.com/Store/Robots/AllRobots/tabid/755/CategoryID/57/List/0/SortField/0/Level/a/ProductID/857/Default.aspx

which can be programmed with a Turnigy ESC programmer:

http://www.parallax.com/Store/Robots/AllRobots/tabid/755/CategoryID/57/List/0/SortField/0/Level/a/ProductID/816/Default.aspx

'till I saw that "kk" board I thought these were "the" two choices for IMUs:

MPU6050 https://www.sparkfun.com/products/11028 ($40)

ArduIMU+ V3 https://www.sparkfun.com/products/11055 ($80)

The "kk" is more than an IMU. It's a complete solution for $30.

This may "deny" us the opportunity to program it from scratch or to add drone features if they're not already there.

note: the ArduIMU+ takes GPS input which is interesting but it's not clear to me that the GPS unit *should* connect to the IMU.

If what we want is a "fleet" of RC-only quadcopters, the "kk" is clearly the low-cost option.

The arduino may give us a better learning platform and stepping stone to things like: automatic "return to launch site", transition to lifting-body flight, etc.

It wouldn't hurt to try stuff w/ the "kk" in parallel w/ the existing arduino based solution.

-Bill