[islandlabs] DIY'duino Class?

Burns, William burns
Thu Dec 6 18:16:36 EST 2012

By the way:

A good question came up during last night's meeting, but I was too fried to respond in a meaningful way.
So:

Re: "first time" arduino projects that might be usable in an arduino class:

You wanted something *other* than blinky lights, but the first demo program implemented a gray-code...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gray_code
and blinked lights accordingly.
As-per the link, this could be useful in implementing a reliable shaft-encoder.
Maybe we could build one of those? Not sure that's a good first-time project.

Another thing we could do is audio stuff. Maybe w/ a piezo speaker?
($1.18 on-sale at Newark)
http://www.newark.com/jsp/search/productdetail.jsp?SKU=25R0640&CMP=KNC-GPLA
http://hackaday.com/2012/09/15/how-to-make-your-own-piezoelectric-speaker/

w/ Audio, we could do an iambic morse-code key.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Telegraph_key#Iambic_.28dual-lever.29_Paddles
To demonstrate serial connectivity to an arduino, we could have the arduino read serial data, and "transmit" the equivalent morse code on the speaker.

Or.. If we want to do some more research... we could use the fermata sketch
http://firmata.org/wiki/Main_Page
to send arduino sensor readings to a PC-based application.

Personally, I like the idea of building our own "most useless device".

Do you guys have more ideas to add to this?

-Bill