[islandlabs] Farmingdale Meeting (was: gprs shield. neat)

Burns, William burns
Thu Apr 21 20:03:22 EDT 2011

After some discussion last night:

The next 3 items could make a good APRS system for if/when we have another loss of payload.
(the current system might become super-reliable)

Venus GPS. (Possibly Tony has this module already?)
http://www.sparkfun.com/products/9133
http://www.google.com/search?q=gps+arduino+breakout&hl=en&prmd=ivns&ei=ejqwTcqbENTAtgeag9jzCw&start=10&sa=N#q=gps+venus&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.&bih=817&biw=1016&fp=8732f7f7c957af80&hl=en&prmd=ivns&tbm=shop

Trackuino
http://hackaday.com/2011/04/20/trackuino-%E2%80%93-an-open-source-arduino-aprs-tracker/
https://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?key=0AqW-6zh51rr8dGNDVUZXV2l1Y2NOU2pZaElrcFUycXc&single=true&gid=0&output=html
http://trackuino.blogspot.com/

Radiometrix HX1 300mW fixed-frequency APRS transmitter.
http://www.radiometrix.com/node/379
http://www.alldatasheet.com/datasheet-pdf/pdf/231371/RADIOMETRIX/HX1-144.390-3.html
http://www.radiometrix.com/content/hx1
http://www.radiometrix.com/files/additional/hx1.pdf

Joe has a new garmin, and we got good output from it. He wants to reconfigure the payload innards so the GPS unit sits in the "normal" position.
I'm not sure that's necessary with this new unit that's designed to re-acquire satellites forever. (w/ no button-pushing)
Either way, it sounds like it's close to flight-ready.
next up: testing to see how well it deals with duct-tape and in-the-field loss-of-signal situations.

Also, we found a "reset" string that might work with the old garmin etrex to get it to re-acquire satellites when it's at a user-button-prompt.
Unfortunately, that means either finding a feature of the existing APRS controller that can make use of this reset string...
http://www.argentdata.com/products/otplus.html
reprogramming this APRS controller (based on a motorola freescale processor) or finding/building a different APRS controller.

Clearly, we want to launch balloons again as soon as possible.
(I'm paying rent on 2 helium tanks right now, and we have 2 balloons on-hand)

However, There's lots more we could do.

Projects discussed:

keyboard foot-pedal
http://glovepie.org/

atmel/arduino group-buy?
At about $2 each, I'd like to buy a batch of 50. Who's in?
http://www.freeduino.org/

555-timer group-buy?
http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=555-contest

PID controllers: Proportional/Integrative/Differential motor controllers
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qRMYqmzOVFs
Proportional, like the governors on old engines.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hqqc6gfVrtU
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s4YaNCFGPHw
Integrative (intended to average-out anomalous error readings
Differential (intended to understand acceleration, prevent overshooting target values/positions, dampen oscillations)

Biomorphic robots
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IjAaOBW9aHc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z_hgnDeRTz0
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-uw1wNG1OC4

Balancing robots
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bdNxgCsWB5E
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qRMYqmzOVFs&t=0m30s

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8HDDzKxNMEY
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RI6FbSj2SN0

Of course, the big news is that we've got space at Farmingdale for now, and Bob thinks his place may become available soon.
There's lots going on.

The next meeting will be on wednesday at Farmingdale.
We could also do a weekend event. Lori would like to do dinner-time stuff at her house, and it's possible Jonathan could make it to a weekend meetup.
What do you guys think?

Questions? Comments? Suggestions?

-Bill