[islandlabs] Learning to program

Burns, William burns
Thu Oct 7 09:19:19 EDT 2010

http://scratch.mit.edu/

________________________________
From: list-bounces at islandlabs.org [mailto:list-bounces at islandlabs.org] On Behalf Of Jonathan Dahan
Sent: Wednesday, October 06, 2010 10:49 PM
To: [Island Labs]
Subject: [islandlabs] Learning to program

Here are some (free,online) resources I recommend (in order) for learning how to program.

http://mislav.uniqpath.com/poignant-guide/
<http://mislav.uniqpath.com/poignant-guide/>'Why_' teaches slowly, thoroughly and entertainingly. Some may not like that its long and meanders a bit, but he teaches important concepts that can be carried over to many modern languages and is a good introduction that sets up best practices (like debugging, introspection and testing). ++ for cartoon foxes.

http://filer.case.edu/srj15/processing_tut/
http://processing.org/learning/
<http://processing.org/learning/>These tutorials provide what commodores/amigas/anything with basic used to - direct visual feedback of what you are doing. Its a safe environment that still lets you experiment and learn some neat 'what can I do with programming?'

My mind is a bit melted right now so I'm missing some big names (and dead-tree introductions), but should be a good general start.

- Jonathan