[islandlabs] Mailing list settings

Island Labs main mailing list list
Mon Dec 15 12:17:31 EST 2008

I'm not opposed to anonymity, but it's kinda normal to have a "handle" or signature associated w/ each person.
If someone chose to identify themselves as "the green goblin" and signed that way consistently, I'd be fine w/ it, even if they chose not to identify themselves that way in person, or admit to their online persona.

On the other hand, it's just plain annoying to find a random comment somewhere, and not know who it's coming from, and what "thread", or chain of thought it belongs to.

Being that the annoyed person is not the one forgetting to identify themselves, and not the one capable of shouldering the "burden" of remembering to identify themselves, it's a solution that's bound to fail.

In theory, the list could attract trolls, and we (as list users)  would be unable to filter them out.

I believe that a "munged" address would be the best technical solution to the social problem.

-Bill

________________________________

Sent: Mon 12/15/2008 11:59 AM
To: Island Labs main mailing list

Putting the burden on the person seems like not a bad solution too an
annoyance for the average person, and I'm for that.

On the other hand, this is an interesting conversation. I think that
internet anonymity is important, and something that is endangered.
Something that perhaps a technological group should take a stand for.

http://techdirt.com/articles/20081210/0131523068.shtml

Tech people aren't the only ones upset about this, internet anonymity
is also important for the continued assurance of a free press:

http://www.rcfp.org/newsitems/index.php?i=7253

Sincerely,
purposely anonymous (....unless you are the admin of this list and you
feel like parsing logs, or you're the government and are breaking the
law.... )